Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The View from my Seat!!

"The Apology". I don't know about you but I am one hard headed woman. Ty Bean is pretty stubborn as well but he apologizes 8 out of 10 times. I, on the other hand, will not be moved. But when you are RIGHT, there is no need to apologize. Ha, Ha!!! All joking aside, "The Apology", has become a "Forgotten Art". It is so easy to say, "I'm sorry, but...". How often do we give an apology and expect one in return? Ty nailed it when he illustrated the apology as a message in a bottle. You can send it out but you are never certain if it will be received. Growing up my sister would say "sorry" for everything. It got to the point that mom would tell her in advance to not even bother. There was no sincerity. We even began to think that she would plan the apology before she even messed up. Sincerity is the most important part of an apology. I am a firm believer that there must be change as well. There has to be some effort to not repeat the offense. One thing I can say about Ty Bean is that he is a man of change. From the time I married him eight years ago until today, I have watched him improve himself over and over again. He is never afraid to self evaluate. I think that in order for us to regain the art of apologizing, we must take a look at our self. What did I do? What can I do? How could I have done it differently? How can I do it next time? All important questions. If there is one thing I know for sure, it's that I can't change ANYONE except MYSELF! When we start approaching an apology as a character builder in our own life, no matter the outcome, we always win. And don't just give good apologies but receive them as well. Give those around you the freedom to make mistakes. There will come a day that you need someone to accept your apology. So, you go first. Restore a bridge that has been burned and see what God can do in that relationship. What a great series!! Simple but thought provoking. Sometimes I think it is the simple things in life that we need to be reminded how to do. You don't want to miss the last 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment