Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The View from my Seat!

This weeks message was the beginning of a four week series called, "The Forgotten Arts". Four different things that we may have lost the art of doing. This week was titled "The Thank You". Ty spoke of the story found in the book of Luke about the 10 lepers that Jesus healed. Out of the 10 who were healed only 1 returned to fall at the feet of Jesus. Only one took the time to show his gratitude to the Lord before returning to his family. Ty shared that it is possible that some of these men may have been separated from their families for many years. Once they were clean and could return home, they could think of nothing else. Who could blame them? But one man wanted Jesus to know that he was thankful before doing anything else. He seized the moment.
Sunday morning I worked the Preschool class and right before service I had an interesting conversation with a new friend of mine. She works at a local restaurant in Hobbs. She shared with me that her least favorite day to work was Sunday's. When I asked her if it had anything to do with church people being her customers, she gave me that little grin. I knew immediately that I was right. I have heard many stories about the church crowd being horrible tippers but she proceeded to tell me how rude they were as well. I can't tell you how bad my blood is boiling right now. It grieves my heart to know that people in the world often treat others better than Christians do. I know that every church attender is not a Christian but there are those that give us a bad name. Of all the people in this world, the children of God should be the most appreciative for someones kind acts. When we go to a restaurant on Sunday or any other day, we should tip more than anyone. We should say, "please" and "thank you". We should never order our waitress or waiter to do something for us. In every setting, we should be a light in the darkness. Where did we go so wrong? When did we start believing that we were above others? As a Christian we should always raise others above us and never push them beneath. This weekend many of you may have thought the message was simple and something you didn't need to know. I am confident that the "Thank You" is a forgotten art. My friends story proves to me that it is true.

2 comments:

  1. Ty, every week you continue to challenge me to "come up higher" in my walk with God and others. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete