Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Where's the Fruit?

I love Joyce Meyer so much. I have never heard a message that didn't some how speak to me. And when I hear something that touches my life I must share. Matthew 21:18-22 says this, "Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig tree wither so quickly?” they asked. Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

Joyce said she had always felt sorry for the fig tree. Why would Jesus destroy that tree? One day the Holy Spirit revealed to her the meaning of this story. She compared the fig tree covered in leaves to someone who calls themselves a Christian. From a distance the tree looks full and a perfect place to find fruit. And when you are hungry that is an exciting thing to see. But once you start searching under the leaves you find that it is bare. No fruit to be found. We wear crosses around our necks. We put bumper stickers on our cars and we never miss a church service. But if anyone gets close enough they find no fruit. Hypocrites are a stench in the nostrils of our Father. Are you bearing fruit? Well Heather, what do you mean? Galatians 5:22 says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." When Jesus looks deep inside you, does He see these qualities? You can fool the world but you can't fool Him.

My prayer is that we all bear much fruit. And it can't be done by our own strength. You must ask the Holy Spirit to help you, to guide you and to change you. I believe in you but more importantly, I believe in Him.

1 comment:

  1. GOOD word, Heather! You know I'm a Joyce fan, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete