Monday, January 10, 2011

Letting Go

So here goes another story about my sweet little boy Hudson. Today his daddy and I decided it was time for him to give up his "Balay" (blanket) once and for all. We had it go missing months ago and he did very well. But when the stomach bug attacked we brought it back for comfort. Big mistake!! So here we are today trying to reason with a 4 almost 5 year old. This blanket is like an old friend to him. He talks to it, kisses it, smells it and takes it everywhere we go. To be honest, I am sad to see balay go. She (as Hud calls it) has become a part of our family. Some of you may be saying, "Why can't he keep it?" Long story but Ty and I have come to an agreement that it is time. Oh my, the crocodile tears were huge. It broke my heart to see him so distraught. And then daddy pulls a $20 bill from his back pocket and tells him if we can have balay he can get something from Wal-Mart. Oh don't judge. You know you've bribed your kids too. So Dado, my dad, came by and took Hudson to get something special at Wally World. I thought to myself this was too easy. Well, I should have known what was coming. BEDTIME! "Mom, where's my balay?" You have got to be kidding me. Again reasoning with a sleepy 4 year old is not possible. We prayed with him, talked with him and loved on him. Nothing was working. I sat down on his bed and put my hands in my coat pocket. The jacket I wore to church tonight had not been worn in a couple of years. When I reached in, I felt an old pacifier in the bottom. I pulled it out thinking this would be a great tool to helping him understand letting go and growing up. He once loved that "Boppy" (pacifier). But when he got older he had to give it up. Well this tool backfired on me. As soon as he saw it, his eyes got big, the tears dried up and he yelled, "Thank you mommy, thank you." Are you kidding me? He wanted that darn boppy back. He grabbed it and shoved it in his mouth. Luckily it was covered in fuzz and as soon as he put it in his mouth he jerked it right back out. Praise God! He was at least calm now and I said we would talk about it in the morning. Ten minutes later he is hunting me down in the laundry room just wanting to know where we had put the blanket. "Ty I need you," I yelled. One more talk with daddy and he calmly headed back to bed with the new toy he had gotten at Wal-Mart.

So as most of you know, God speaks to me in ALL of life's little moments. What are you holding on to? Have you let go of old habits, relationships, etc. but as soon as they make their way back into your life you latch on with all your might? Is there something that is keeping you from growing up (Spiritually)? We have got to trust God that He has something better for us. He wants to take us where we have never been. And don't let go of one thing to pick another back up. Our security is found in Him alone.

Hudson will grow up and laugh at this story one day. But as adults we don't seem to find much humor in our own struggles. It's real life and it really hurts. My one word of encouragement is that when you give God something He gives back something better. When you give Him your addiction, He gives you freedom. When you give Him your fears, He gives you peace. When you give Him that wrong relationship, He gives you the right one. Trust Him because He is faithful!

1 comment: