Friday, April 30, 2010

Chicken Vegetable Soup

I know it is time for warm weather and cookouts but I don't think mother nature got the memo. So with all the colds going around, I thought I would share one of my favorite soup recipes. My mother taught me and it is a great way to get the veggies in your kids. Hope all of you are feeling well but if not this soup will help.

8-10 chicken tenders
1 stick butter
salt and pepper
1 chopped yellow onion
4-6 peeled and chopped potatoes
1 can of Rotel
1 can of tomato sauce
2 or more cups of chicken broth
1 can drained green beans
1 can drained sliced carrots
1 can drained lima beans
1 can drained golden corn
1 c. elbow macaroni
1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped

In a 9"X13" pan, cook chicken tenders with a stick of butter and salt/pepper covered for 1 hour at 350*. Cool and cut into small chunks. Keep in butter until needed. In a stew pot, saute onion and potatoes in 2 Tbs. of olive oil. Cook until onion is tender. Potatoes will not be completely cooked. Add rotel, tomato sauce, chicken broth, green beans, carrots, lima beans and corn. Add salt and pepper again to taste. Bring to a simmer. Add macaroni and cook until almost done. Then add cabbage and chicken with all the butter and juices. Continue to cook until cabbage is wilted and flavors combine. Serve with cornbread. Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment