Monday, April 12, 2010

What is God saying?

Well, I am reading another book. I go through seasons of reading everything I can get my hands on and then I won't pick up a book for months. A couple of days ago I was reading a book by Beth Moore called, "When Godly People Do Ungodly Things." There was one particular paragraph that caught my attention. Beth Moore gave a warning to all of us who have been called to speak to the Body of Christ. She said that we must be cautious to remember that God doesn't just want to talk through us. He wants to talk to us. When we stop letting God speak to us, it is only a matter of time before He will stop speaking through us. This statement hit me right between the eyes. I think this is true for everyone. When we stop letting God speak to us, it affects our ability to make a Godly impact on others. It is so easy to tell myself, "Heather, you have done enough. You have been in church twice this week and you have prayed for many people." I can then get real lazy in my personal prayer and study time. But how can I expect to give to others when I am empty myself. This past year I have gone through a lot in my private life. During this time God showed me a picture of my life. It was a water pitcher turned on its side laying in a puddle of liquid. The Lord spoke to my heart and said, "Heather this is you. You are trying to give to so many people but you are empty." He said, "Let me sit you back up and fill your cup so that you may give again." These past 6 months I have been very selfish with my time. I have had to take care of my walk with the Lord. We can get so busy doing for God that before we know it we are drained of everything we have to give. We are then no good to anyone. I challenge myself and you as well. Don't lose focus of your private time with God. Make the time to hear His voice. Make the time to be filled back up. I heard someone say once that we are to be a river not a reservoir. We are to be filled so we can pour out. But don't pour yourself out and stay empty. God wants to use you but more importantly he wants to be with you. Many times throughout the Gospels Jesus said, "He who has ears to hear, Let them hear." Are you listening? Make sure you take the time to do so.

2 comments:

  1. Amen!!!! Ms. Heather you are incredible, so please let God fill you up, many are so blessed when you do so. Now I need to take your advice and your challenge and refuel and refill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a video of TD Jakes and he was talking about how we miss so many of Gods blessings. He did a visual with a cup & a pitcher of water. He would pour a little water from the pitcher into the cup saying "oh, church was great today," "Oh my children were so sweet today", and for every little blessing, he would pour a little more water into the cup and every big blessing he would pour a LOT of water into the cup, until it started to overflow. Water was just leaking onto the floor because the vessel wasn't big enough to receive all the 'blessings' (water). He said we need to remember to ask God to enlarge our vessels so that we don't miss he abundance of blessings he gives us. He had a helper come over with a towel and start to soak up the water...he began to walk off the stage and TD Jakes stopped him...he said 'Hold on a minute, bring that towel back" He then brought it back and he said, "God's saved all these blessings for you!" He then began to ring the towel out - and said "You just need to ask God to make your vessel bigger!" I would have never thought to ask that! Now I prayer for a vessel the size of a swimming pool! And when that's full, I'm going to have to be pretty creative to think about another large vessel to ask for! So in addition to an empty pitcher, if we ask for a larger vessel, we will have much more to give to others!

    ReplyDelete