Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sunday School Lesson

This week I got to thinking about the Armor of God. How many Sunday school lessons have you heard on this topic? But in my meditating on it I realized that we have heard it but we don't follow it. We fight battles everyday in this world we live in and many of us feel defeated. We have been given everything we need to do battle with the enemy. We have the helmet of salvation, the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of peace, the shield of faith and the sword of the spirit. We have been given all that we need to be victorious. The problem is that we must choose to put on the armor. God doesn't dress us every morning. We have to make the decision to step into these garments.

I envision a knight preparing for battle. He is in his chambers dressing and securely fastening every piece of armor for his safety. How crazy would it be for him to walk on the battlefield and leave his sword? He would spend the entire battle as a moving target. He is protected from the blows but he can never be on the offense. A team never wins just playing good defense. They must have the ability to score as well. I feel like the knight without his sword many times in my own personal walk. I am attacked by the arrows that fly my way. I am confident of my salvation (helmet) and I know the truth (belt). I am a child of the King and He is bigger than any problem I have (shield). Therefore I am walking in my shoes of peace. I also know that I am in right standing with my God (breastplate). He is not angry with me and I am not facing this trial because He is trying to punish me. These things I know and they protect me. BUT what if I could fight back. So many times we think that the Word of God is just a book that is hard to read. I agree that It can be difficult to understand but so was my geometry book. My math teachers still found it important that I read it and learn from it. We can not put more importance on worldly education than we do on Godly Wisdom. The Bible is our weapon. The scriptures say in Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the power of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." We must turn to the Word of God in order to win the battle. I don't want to just fight, I want to WIN!!!

So this is my advice to you. Find some scriptures that will encourage you. Find scriptures that pertain to what you are dealing with right now. Write them down and put them where you can see them. Put a copy in your car and on your mirror in the bathroom. Put them on your refrigerator and on your nightstand. Fight the enemy with the Words of God himself. Hebrews 4:12 says, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow."

Here are a few to start you off:
Ps. 23 The Lord is my shepherd. I do not want
Phil. 4:19 My God supplies all my need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus
Phil. 4:6, 1 Pet. 5:6,7 I do not fret or have anxiety about anything. I do not have a care.
1 Cor. 2:16 I have the mind of Christ and hold the thoughts, feelings and purposes of His heart.
2 Tim 1:7 I fear not for God has given me a spirit of power, of love and of a sound mind.
Phil. 1:6 He who began a good work in me will continue until the day of Christ.
1 Jn 4:4 Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world.
Phil. 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Rom. 8:28 All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.
Ps. 119:11 I will hide your Word in my heart that I might not sin against God.
Jer. 29:11 I know the plans I have for you says the Lord; plans for good and not evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Children of God, take up your sword and FIGHT!

4 comments:

  1. What a timely reminder! As I walk every morning I am "strapping" on my armor for the day! Thank you for the verses. I love those particular ones!! Be blessed today and every day! Love you, sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Heather, I just love this. You said something in church Sunday that stuck with me, that when we ask for forgiveness, we are always forgiven. I have not always been the best of people and I guess I have punished myself and never felt quit worthy of God's love for the things I have done in my past. But you made me realize, that He has already forgave me, that my insecurities are because I have to forgive myself. I think that is a hard task to do, but I have felt like a whole ton of bricks has been lifted from my shoulders since you said that. Thank you so much for all your words, they uplift us and guide us. You are truly an amazing lady.
    Love you
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beverly, I'm so excited that my words were revelation to you. You are forgiven and you must now forgive yourself. I often bring up things in my mind of the dumb things I once did. I just have to remind myself that God has no clue what I am talking about. He not only forgave but forgot. Too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT word, Heather!!! Plus.........I LOVE those particular scriptures! Thank you for speaking into our lives!!! LOVE you BUNCHES!!!

    ReplyDelete