Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Simplicity

I woke up Christmas morning feeling so very blessed. The snow was absolutely beautiful and I couldn't wait to get to my mom's house for the day of festivities. But first my sweet potato casserole had to be made. So I put my Christmas apron on, turned on the television and got busy in the kitchen. For you to understand what I'm about to tell you, I must first explain one little story. A few weeks ago I was visiting with a close friend about the teaching podcasts I love to watch. The amount of knowledge available to the believer today is mind blowing. I have a long list of favorites. I made the comment that Joel Osteen is a great speaker with a feel good message. His teachings are practical and he offers good advice on "living your best life now". But, I shamefully must tell you that I told my friend that I like a little more Word in my teachings. I like to go a little deeper. Well, guess who was preaching when my television powered up Christmas morning? You betcha! Joel Osteen was sharing a sermon and I had already started peeling potatoes. So I decided to listen. Three times in his message I began to cry. At one point I looked up to see Joel tearing up as well. And all of the sudden everything became so clear. I was changing and growing in a 20 minute message. Joel Osteen was oozing with "The Word". I'm not talking scripture, I'm talking Jesus. Jesus was pouring out of every crevice of this man's being. I suddenly felt like a modern day Pharisee. When Jesus came to this earth, He entered in by way of a common couple and a smelly manger. At the age of 30, His teachings began to be recorded. He showed love and compassion to those that most religious people would walk by and scoff. He chose fishermen and tax collectors to be his helpers. He slept and ate in the homes of the despised. He spoke to prostitutes and lepers without fear of rejection. Jesus was and is the Word. And the Word is Love. The Sadducee's and the Pharisees did not understand the simplicity of Christ's message. He confounded the wise. They were looking for something "deep" and yet they didn't even recognize the well of never ending supply that was standing before them. What does it mean to go "deep"? Is it bible knowledge? Is it knowing Greek and Hebrew translations? Is it possessing more gifts than your Sunday School teacher? Or could it be more simple than that? The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 13:1-8, "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek it's own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never Fails!" Christ made it very clear how important love was to Him. I will probably spend my lifetime becoming love. I don't want to miss Jesus looking for knowledge. In everything I do and say I want to look to Him. Joel Osteen is preaching love to a world full of hate. He is changing lives one message at a time. Not because of who he is or what he is capable of doing. He is changing lives because he loves Jesus! And this love shines bright for all to see. Now that is deep.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning...I found your blog through my daughter Melody TeVelde. Just wanted to let you know how much I was blessed reading through several of your posts. When I was visiting them last Aug. I came to your church and was also very encouraged that they have such a good church to go to. I am praying that both Melody and Mike get more involved over there. Your just soo right here. Love of Jesus is what it is ALL about, and the only thing with any lasting power to change lives. Blessings to you, Debbie Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, Thank you so much for your kind words. You have a beautiful daughter inside and out. We are here for them if they need anything. Hope you can come visit again soon. Im sure with little Samuel here it is going to be hard to stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Heather. Deep has messed some of us up when all we are going after is more info about God. Since Aaron died my deep hasn't been about Knowledge but how to love people the way that I saw my son love them. He had a way of making every person in the room feel like he was their best friend. His short life made a great impact on all who knew him and through his death I'm getting feedback from people who didn't even know him as to how his life has made them feel. It's amazing how much we can get from our kids if we are looking for the Jesus in them.
    I heard a TV preacher the other day say that we have become too familiar with God. Aaron was so familiar with that he represented him in an authentic way. I want to become that familiar with my Father so that I am an accurate reflection of His Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cody, that is incredible and I agree 100%. I am utterly sick and tired of people arguing the different issues in the Bible. If we don't have love, the other stuff is pointless to get right anyway. Thank you and Stacey both for being a great example to the rest of us. We love you both.

    ReplyDelete