Saturday, August 7, 2010

Down to the Basics

Are you ready to talk about a sensitive subject? And why is it so sensitive? Why can we talk about our sinful nature without anger bubbling up but talk about my money and look out? We can give God our life but don't ask me to give my finances. I was sitting on the bathroom counter doing my hair when Ty walked in and asked me a very interesting question. "Which one would you choose?,"he said. "Would you want an individual to write a million dollar check to Cowboy Junction or would you want a church full of givers?" I'll give my answer in a minute. Our vision for CJC requires money and there is no way around that. We are only $23,000.00 from paying off the loan on the church property and the people have been amazing. They see a need and they are quick to fill it. But a building project should not be why we give. I could place a list of needs before you. Every week there are utilities to pay. The need for a children's facility is huge. But the best children's facility without a Children's Pastor is pointless. We have gone 11 years without a youth building but without Cigi we wouldn't have a Youth Group. Our giving should not be out of need but a heart to give back to God what is His to begin with. There is no lack of vision at our church. We are confident that God has great plans for His people. And our desire is that He use us in any way He desires. We always hope to be growing and building. That is a true sign of life.

So my answer to Ty's question was a church full of givers. You ask me why? Man, a million dollars would be instant and could get us what we need NOW. Have you ever heard the saying,"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day but teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime?" A one time gift makes a difference today but what will make a difference tomorrow? If you have a church full of givers, there is no need for a building program. Givers not only give of their money but of their time. Givers serve and volunteer. Givers have a vision for souls. Our goal at CJC is not to build buildings or make a name for ourselves. Our desire is for people to grow in their understanding of God's truth, His love and His grace. If we have all the facilities we could ever imagine but no one understands why, we have achieved nothing. What we have personally is not our own. What we have corporately is not our own. It is all God's. He has just asked us to be stewards of His money. Ten percent is all He asks that we give back to His Kingdom. We give to see lives change. Don't give out of need. Give because God says you should. Give because you know what God can do with what you have, big or small. If you read this blog and have said to yourself, "I'm not a tither but I want to be." Allow the Lord to speak to your heart. I promise He will. I love you all.

3 comments:

  1. In "The Blessed Life", Pastor Robert Morris says, "Tithing is the primary way we acknowledge that God is first. The principle of the firstfruits is very, very powerful. I have heard it said that any first thing given is never lost, and any first thing not given is always lost. In other words, what we give to God, we don't lose because God redeems it for us. But what we withhold from God, we will lose. (Matt. 16:25)" Give when you have nothing and God will give back HUGE because "if we're faithful over little, He knows we'll be faithful over much!" Faithfulness will "spill" over into EVERY area of our life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can honestly say, that tithing has made the biggest impact on my life. You can never out give the blessings God gives us. I was not raised to 'tithe', - but because I trusted God on this 'tithe' ride, He has shown me over and over how much he protects my finances. Even in the times when 10% felt like lot of 'extra' $$ I could use on bills - God always honored my faithfulness to tithe. I will pay tithes before I pay any other bills now!

    ReplyDelete